Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Anonymous - Ancient Egypt

I mentioned in an earlier entry that I am interested in how different cultures and times wrote about the theme of this blog. Here are poems translated into English by Ezra Pound and Noel Stock from Italian text translated, in turn,from hieroglyphic texts dating from between 1567 B.C. to 1085 B.C.). The Italian version is called "Liriche Amorose Degli Antichi Egizioni" (Milan, 1957).
--------------------------


II
Nothing, nothing can keep me away from my love
Standing on the other shore.
Not even old crocodile
There on the sandbank between us
Can keep us apart.
I go in spite of him,
I walk upon the waves,
Her love flows back across the water,
Turning waves to solid earth
For me to walk on.
The river is our Enchanted Sea.

III
To have seen her
To have seen her approaching
Such beauty is
Joy in my heart forever.
Nor time eternal take back
What she has brought to me.

IV
When she welcomes me
Arms open wide
I feel as some traveler returning
From the far land of Punt.
All things change; the mind, the senses,
Into perfume rich and strange.
And when parts her lips to kiss
My head is light, I am drunk without beer.

                                                                                                        Anonymous - Ancient Egypt

No comments: