Monday, May 17, 2010

Chop-Cherry - Robert Herrick

Robert Herrick (1591-1674) -  Poet, Vicar, and admirer of Ben Jonson, he wrote over 1200 short poems along with his reputation-making lyrical poems (Hesperides).   "Gather ye rosebuds while ye may.." is the first line of possibly his best known short one.  This one always brings a chuckle, both for its truth and its wit across almost four centuries.  (It's just slightly bawdy.)
------------------------------
Chop-Cherry

Thou gav’st me leave to kiss,
   Thou gav’st me leave to woo;
Thou mad’st me think, by this
   And that, thou lov’st me too.

But I shall ne’er forget
   How, for to make the merry
Thou mad’st me chop, but yet
   Another snapp’d the cherry.

                                                                   Robert Herrick - English

No comments: