Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Way - Robert Creeley

(Bio info with earlier poem by Creeley.)  I've always liked this one for its matter-of-factness and simplicity.  And something in me understands/connects with the idea "switch" in the second verse.  I have never been one to engage in locker-room talk, ie. my own version of "don't ask, don't tell", so the theme resonates.
---------------------------
The Way

My love’s manners in bed
are not to be discussed by me,
as mine by her
I would not credit comment upon gracefully.

Yet I ride by the margin of that lake in
the wood, the castle,
and the excitement of strongholds;
and have a small boy’s notion of doing good.

Oh well, I will say here,
knowing each man,
let you find a good wife too,
and love her as hard as you can.

                                                                                           Robert Creeley - American

No comments: