Wednesday, May 5, 2010

i like my body when it is with your - e.e. cummings

This is possibly one of cummings' most anthologized poems.... which doesn't lessen it's joyfulness!    it's so sensual, suggestive yet "clean",  and just plain happy.   What more can one ask for?   I first read it as an inexperienced teenager titillated by the heady images.   Now, the appeal is in the strobe-like illumination of two lovers and how well it captures the complexity and the nuances.  Ahh....
------------------------------------
i like my body when it is with your
                                                                        
i like my body when it is with your
body. It is so quite new a thing.
Muscles better and nerves more.
I like your body. I like what it does,
I like its hows. I like to feel the spine
of your body and its bones, and the trembling
-firm-smooth ness and which I will
again and again and again
kiss, I like kissing this and that of you,
I like, slowly stroking the, shocking fuzz
of your electric fur, and what-is-it comes
over parting flesh…. And eyes big love-crumbs,

and possibly I like the thrill

of under me you so quite new
                                                                           e.e. cummings - American

No comments: